The annual speech and prize giving day of the Atorkor L/A Basic school took place on 25th March 2008. A total of 36 children received various awards in recognition of their achievements. The school’s cultural troupe put up wonderful cultural dancing and dramatic sketches. In her report, the headmistress of the school, Mrs. Beaulah Mensah Tetteh listed some of the achievements of the School in the past year as well as some problems they still face:
In 2007 the pass rate of the school at the Basic Education Certificate Examination was 64% and the school was ranked 25 out of 69 schools in district. 33 students were presented of which 21 passed. Of the 21, 15 gained admission into Senior high school, mainly local schools in Anloga and Keta. This result was better than the previous year in which the pass rate was 38% and the school was ranked 44 out of the 69 schools in the district.
- The school came first in the Annual Sports Competition in the circuit.
- The school won the First Prize an educational quiz competition involving the local schools.
- The formation of a cultural troupe and a dance group in the school who performs at various functions.
CHALLENGES FACING THE SCHOOL
- Large class sizes with some classes having 90 children with only one teacher. There is the need to recruit more teachers.
- the need for additional classrooms
- More sponsors are needed to sponsor the brilliant but needed children in the school especially children moving onto the senior high school
The school is looking for the following for the school IT Centre
- 20-30 computers for the centre. The minimum specification will be Pentium III. They can be used computers.
- Computer desks
- Computer accessories – educational software, storage devices-CD, pen drives hard disk, anti-virus, spyware & firewall software packages, audio books, computer games